Category: News

Title: CSS Director Keir Lieber Responds to Attacks on U.S. Capitol

Dr. Keir Lieber, Director of the Center for Security Studies and Security Studies Program sent the following message to SSP students on Wednesday, January 7, 2021.

Dear students,

I want to echo the remarks from Dean Hellman and President DeGioia about the horrific events at the Capitol yesterday. The news hit particularly close to home for many of us at SSP, given the number of students, alumni, and faculty—not to mention colleagues and loved ones—who work on the Hill. For me, this incident crystalizes the importance of appreciating the institutional and normative underpinnings of national security, as well as respecting and thanking those who dedicate their lives and careers to national service.

While the city may be quieter today, I know many people in our community are still grappling with this event and what it means, both for them as individuals and for our country. I encourage you to take advantage of the resources offered by Georgetown. In particular, virtual mental health services are open to all students; for students of faith, the chaplains at Campus Ministry are also available for conversations and guidance. In addition, please draw on the strength of our SSP community as much as possible, and know that my (virtual) door is always open to you.

I am disheartened that my first message to you in 2021 comes in this context, but I look forward to seeing you all when classes resume in a few short weeks. Until then, I hope you enjoy the rest of your winter break.

Best wishes,
Keir Lieber
Director, Center for Security Studies
and Security Studies Program