Category: Featured News, News

Title: Security Studies Program welcomes Rush Doshi to Faculty

The Georgetown Security Studies Program is delighted to welcome Rush Doshi to the faculty starting in the fall of 2024. Rush Doshi joins SFS as an Assistant Professor in Security Studies. He is a political scientist who researches China’s foreign policy, cross-Strait issues, and Indo-Pacific security. “I’m thrilled to be a part of SSP,” Doshi said, “the program has a rich legacy of scholarship and service and prepares students for impactful public careers. I feel privileged to join the faculty in advancing that mission.”

Before arriving at SFS, Doshi was the Deputy Senior Director for China and Taiwan Affairs on President Biden’s National Security Council, where he served three years from 2021-2024 and helped manage the NSC’s first-ever China directorate. At the NSC, Doshi advised the President and National Security Adviser on all aspects of China and Taiwan policy and staffed over a dozen of their meetings with PRC counterparts. He also drafted the Administration’s China strategy, formulated U.S. policy on cross-Strait issues, and coordinated the negotiations that launched AUKUS.

Doshi is also a Senior Fellow for China and Indo-Pacific Studies at the Council on Foreign Relations. Prior to his government service, Doshi worked as a fellow at the Brookings Institution and Yale Law School’s China Center. His first book, The Long Game: China’s Grand Strategy to Displace American Order (Oxford University Press, 2021), won the Mershon Center’s Edgar S. Furniss book award, was a finalist for the Arthur Ross Book Award and the Lionel Gelber Prize, and was named a Financial Times “best book” of 2021. He has testified before Congress, and his work has appeared in International Organization, Asia Policy, The Washington Quarterly, The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, and Foreign Affairs, among other outlets. Doshi received his PhD from Harvard University and his bachelor’s degree in public policy from Princeton University with a minor in East Asian Studies. He was also a Fulbright fellow in China and is proficient in Mandarin.

At SSP, Doshi hopes to work with colleagues and students to explore the social science and public policy questions surfaced by China’s growing global influence. Over the coming year, Doshi will teach classes on Chinese grand strategy, China’s military modernization, and U.S.-China competition – as well as efforts to manage it. “My academic experience deeply informed my government service,” Doshi said, “and in this next phase of my career, I hope that my government service focuses my scholarship and enriches my teaching.”